Sunday, March 25, 2018

Useful Expressions

Informal – Thanks for emailing me on 15th February
Formal – Thank you for your email dated 15th February
Informal – Sorry, I can’t make it.
Formal – I am afraid I will not be able to attend
Informal – Can you…?
Formal – I was wondering if you could….?
Direct – I need this in half an hour.
Indirect and polite – Would it be possible to have this in half an hour?
Direct – There will be a delay
Indirect – I’m afraid there may be a slight delay.
Direct – It’s a bad idea
Indirect – To be honest, I’m not sure if that would be a good idea.

Formal:
·       Pleased to meet you 

Formal and Informal:
·       1) It’s very nice to meet you
·       2) Nice to meet you too 

Formal:
·       1) It’s a pleasure to meet you
·       2) Pleasure to meet you too

Informal:
·       1) Lovely to meet you
·       2) Likewise

Informal:
·       1) Glad to meet you
·       2) Glad to meet you too 

Formal and Informal:
·       1) How wonderful to meet you
·       2) Likewise

Formal and Informal:
·       1) It was nice meeting you
·       2) Nice meeting you too

Informal:
·       1) It was lovely meeting you
·       2) You too

Informal:
·       1) It was nice to have met you
·       2) You too

Formal:
·       1) It’s been a pleasure meeting you
·       2) The pleasure is mine

Informal:
·       1) I’ve enjoyed meeting you
·       2) You too


No comments:

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS